Breaks - do you take them or make them?

Why do we anglophones take a break, while German speakers make a break (Pause machen)?

As it's holiday season, I've noticed many fellow freelance translators talking about the need to take time off. Which reminded me of this little gem of cultural and linguistic difference.

In Germany, if I decided to take a coffee break* I would say,
"Ich mach' mal 10 Minuten Pause". (I'm just making a ten minute break)
In Leeds, this would result in some confused faces. In English, we would always take a break rather than make one.  

I've often smiled to myself about this. I like the thought of English speakers feeling that they are stealing time from somebody; a sense of underlying guilt at taking the time to be so self-indulgent as to stop and relax!

The contrasting image portrays our German counterparts are much more forthright in their approach: they will create a break using their raw willpower, and they will sit back and they will see that the break is good.

I prefer this latter approach, as it gives breaks the respect they deserve. Having breaks is an important part of working effectively and staying motivated. 

On that note, I'll make a break and leave you to crave Kit Kats...

* I don't actually drink coffee but hardly anyone in Germany knows how to make a decent cup of tea. Perhaps I will one day blog about the evils of Kaffesahne.

Courtesy of pixabay.com